📸 by Ask Chef Dennis
A creamy white cheddar sauce with a touch of earthy truffle oil makes this the ultimate comfort food.
- 2-3 tablespoons White Truffle Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pound pasta
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup Half & Half or light cream
- 12 ounces white cheddar cheese – extra sharp shredded
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 ounces Romano cheese grated or grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp red bell pepper finely diced
- 2 tbsp Italian parsley chopped
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Happy Pepper
- Preheat oven to 375. Butter a 9×12 baking dish, set aside.
- Cook pasta to al dente, according to package instructions. Set aside until needed.
- Add four tablespoons of unsalted butter to a medium saucepan over medium heat to melt the butter.
- When the butter is melted, add the flour to the pan and whisk together. Allow the mixture to cook over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes whisking during the process. This is your roux, don’t let it burn.
- Heat the milk until almost boiling, then gradually pour the milk into the roux while whisking. This needs to be done slowly to keep the sauce from being lumpy.
- When the milk has been incorporated into the roux, add the half and half, paprika, salt, and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Add the cream cheese to the cheese sauce. Whisk until it’s completely blended.
- Add in the grated Romano and ⅓ of the shredded white cheddar cheese to the sauce. Whisk until the cheese has been fully incorporated into the cheese sauce.
- Add the remaining cheddar ⅓ at a time and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of White Truffle Extra Virgin Olive Oil to the cheese sauce. Use more or less depending on how prominent you want the truffle flavor. Whisk until fully incorporated.
- Add the red pepper and half of the parsley to the sauce.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and stir to fully coat pasta with cheese sauce.
- Pour noodles into the prepared baking dish. Top with panko breadcrumbs.
- Drizzle the remaining truffle oil over the breadcrumbs.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 35 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for about five minutes before serving. Top with the rest of the chopped parsley.