📷 by: Ambitious Kitchen
This traditional recipe is incredibly easy to make, customize how you like, and always SO cozy and delicious.
- 1 (750 ml) bottle of dry red wine
- ¼ cup Apple Brandy
- 1 orange, sliced into rounds (peeled, if you would like a less-bitter drink)
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 2 to 4 tablespoons sugar, FassZination Forest Honey, or maple syrup to taste (or your desired sweetener)
- optional garnishes: citrus slices (orange, lemon and/or lime), extra cinnamon sticks, extra star anise
- Combine ingredients: Add wine, brandy, orange slices, cloves, cinnamon, star anise, and 2 tablespoons sweetener to a large saucepan. Stir briefly to combine.
- Simmer: Cook the mulled wine on medium-high heat until it just barely reaches a simmer. Avoid letting it bubble — you don’t want to boil off the alcohol. Reduce heat to low, cover, and let the wine simmer for at least 15 minutes or up to 3 hours.
- Strain: Using a fine mesh strainer, remove and discard the orange slices, cloves, cinnamon sticks, and star anise. Give the mulled wine a taste, and stir in extra sweetener if needed.
- Serve warm in heatproof mugs, topped with your favorite garnishes.