📷 by: The Little Eepicurean
A warming beverage perfect during the cool holiday season! Easily customize it with your choice of spices & liquor.
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- 3 star anise
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 8 cups apple cider
- 1 cup Chai Vodka or Bourbon
- For the garnish: star anise, cinnamon stick, orange slice
- Toast the spices: Add the spices to the bottom of a pot. Toast over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant
- Simmer: Turn the heat to low. Pour in the apple cider and bring to below a simmer, just barely bubbling. Set a timer for 30 minutes and reduce to low heat (don’t let it simmer).
- Filter: Skim off any particulate that rises to the top of the pot using a fine mesh sieve or strainer (or you can pour it through a strainer into another pot).
- Serve: Pour in the rum or bourbon (or add 2 ounces to each 1 cup serving). Ladle into 8 mugs. If desired, garnish with star anise, cinnamon stick, or an orange slice.