Biscotti is something that looks hard to make but is so easy! The secret ingredient and the star of the show is the Orange Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Your friends will definitely be impressed!
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- ⅔ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup Orange Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ tsp pure almond extract
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips
- ¾ cup sliced almonds
- 4 oz dark chocolate, melted for dipping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine eggs, sugar in a medium bowl and whisk vigorously until thickened and lightened in color like custard. Whisk in olive oil and almond extract.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and whisk to blend evenly. Add it to the egg mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until most of the flour is absorbed. Add the chocolate chips and almonds and fold them through to distribute evenly. The dough will be a bit sticky.
- Divide dough in half and place it onto a lightly floured work surface. With lightly floured hands, gently roll each portion into an 11 to 12-inch log and then transfer the logs onto the prepared baking sheet spacing them about 3 inches apart. Flatten logs with your hands so that they are about 2½ inches wide and ¾-inch high.
- Bake for about 25 minutes until golden brown. Transfer baking sheet to a wire rack and cool for at least 30 minutes so that the cookie logs no longer feel soft and are firm enough to slice neatly. Reduce oven temperature to 300°F.
- Use a sharp serrated knife to slice logs diagonally into ½-inch pieces and place them back onto the baking sheet so they are standing right-side-up. Bake for another 10-15 minutes until dry and crisp.
- Optional: Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or (carefully!) use the microwave. For the microwave, place the chocolate in a medium heat-proof bowl. Melt in 15 second increments, stirring after each increment until completely melted and smooth. Dip each biscotti cookie in the melted chocolate and place back onto the baking sheets. Sprinkle with any additional orange zest if desired. Allow chocolate to set in the refrigerator or at room temperature.
- Serve with coffee or an espresso martini!
Share this post
← Older Post
Newer Post →