📷 by: Leite's Culinaria
Crisp. Crackly. With just the right amount of sweet!
- 1/2 cup Don Carlos Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more for the baking sheets
- 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 cups Italian 00 flour or cake flour
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons raw sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons active dry or instant yeast
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- All-purpose flour, for the work surface
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
- In a large bowl, stir together 1 1/2 cups flour (180 g), salt, and fennel seeds.
- Pour the oil into a measuring cup or another bowl containing the water, stir in the sugar and yeast, and mix well. Let rest for a few minutes until it becomes frothy.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and slowly pour in the yeast mixture, using a fork to gradually mix in the flour. When everything starts to come together, use your hands to mix it into a smooth dough. If the dough is sticky as heck, add some or all of the remaining 1 cup flour, a little at a time, until a smooth dough forms. It's quite possible you'll need to add at least 1/2 cup and as much as the full 1 cup.
- Lightly oil 2 large baking sheets and then dust them with confectioners’ sugar. Lightly flour a clean work surface and a rolling pin with all-purpose flour.
- Divide your dough into 12 equal-size pieces and shape each one into a ball. Roll out each ball until it’s almost translucent and somewhere around 4 inches in diameter.
- Place each torta on a baking sheet and lightly brush with some beaten egg white. Lightly dust the dough first with confectioners’ sugar and then a little raw sugar.
- Bake for 5 to 12 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Watch the tortas closely as they can burn in seconds.
- Immediately transfer the tortas to wire racks to cool and crisp. Devour warm or at room temperature. The tortas will crumble into flaky loveliness as you take a bite, and will then quickly dissolve into sweet nothingness within seconds. So lovely.